IT HAPPENED IN MONTANA BY JAMES A. CRUTCHFIELD A FIRST GLIMPSE OF THE SHINING MOUNTAINS 1743 Vocabulary you need to know: 1. Vantage a place or position affording a good view of something. 2. Intrepid fearless; adventurous. 3. Enthralled capture the fascinated attention of. 4. Persistence firm continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition.
5. Elusive difficult to find, catch, or achieve. 6. Sought past tense of seek. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #1 Describe in detail a moment when you saw something incredible for the first time. How were your reactions similar or different to those of the Frenchman in the first installment of It Happened in Montana? One paragraph, 5-7 sentences.
LEWISS CONFRONTATION WITH THE BLACKFEET - 1806 Vocabulary you need to know: 1. Remarkable worthy of attention; striking. 2. Rendezvous a meeting at an agreed time and place. 3. Confluence where two rivers of the same size meet. 4. Ensuing happen or occur afterward or as a result. 5. Unperceived to be unaware of something. 6. Skirmish an episode of irregular or unpremeditated fighting. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #2
Write a summary of the chapter. 1 paragraph, 5-7 sentences JOHN COLTER'S SPRINT FOR LIFE - 1808 Vocabulary you need to know: 1. Formulated create or devise methodically. 2. Predicament a difficult, unpleasant, or embarrassing situation. 3. Conferring have discussions; exchange opinions. 4. Impetuously acting or doing quickly and without thought or care.
5. Peered look keenly or with difficulty at someone or something. 6. Emaciated abnormally thin or weak, especially because of illness or a lack of food. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #3 John Colter was stranded in the freezing wilderness with no clothes, food, or water. What
would you do to survive if you were in his position? 1 paragraph, 5-7 sentences THE BIRTH AND DEATH OF A FUR COMPANY - 1823 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Traipsed walk or move wearily or reluctantly. 2. Monopolize - obtain exclusive possession or control of. 3. Adamant - refusing to be persuaded or to change one's mind. 4. Disposition - a person's inherent qualities of mind and character. 5. Slain - kill (a person or animal) in a violent way.
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #4 Answer the following questions, use FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Who traveled upriver in 1807 in search of beavers? 2. Name one problem that arose with his company. (Page 11) 3. Who took over the day-to-day management of the company? What positive things did he do for the company? 4. How did the Blackfeet first react to the idea of sharing their land
with the traders? 5. What event showed that the Blackfeet were lying and really didnt want to share their land? MIKE FINK: A ROWDY AT HENRYS FORT Vocabulary words you need to know: 1. Escapade an act or incident involving excitement, daring, or adventure.
2. Constructed build or erect (something, typically a building, road, or machine). 3. Cautiously (of a person) careful to avoid potential problems or dangers. 4. Subdue overcome, quieten, or bring under control (a feeling or person). PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #5 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION:
1. When and where was Mike Fink born? 2. Describe the deadly game Fink suggested to play with Carpenter. 3. What did Fink exclaim before calmly walking away from the deceased Carpenter? 4. Why wasnt Talbot charged with murder after shooting Mike Fink? 5. How did Talbot eventually die? PRINCE MAXIMILIAN: TOURIST ROYALE - 1833 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Ethnologist branch of anthropology that compares and analyzes the characteristics of
different peoples and the relationship between them. 2. Companions a person or animal with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels. 3. Witnessed see (an event, typically a crime or accident) take place. 4. Stockade a barrier formed from upright wooden posts or stakes, especially as a defense against attack or as a means of confining animals. 5. Observed notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant. 6. Departed to go away; leave.
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #6 1. Why did Maximilian want to go out to the west? 2. Describe what Bodmer, Dreidoppel and Maximilian do to busy themselves while they were at Fort Union?
3. According to his journal entry, how did Maximilian feel about the Blackfeet Tribe? 4. What unusual Blackfeet custom did Maximilian witness? 5. Why do you think the men never returned to MT?
FATHER DESMETS CHAPEL IN THE PINES - 1841 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Vicinity the area near or surrounding a particular place. 2. Aspired direct one's hopes or ambitions toward achieving something. 3. Destitute without the basic necessities of life. 4. Parleyed hold a conference with the opposing side to discuss terms. 5. Dwindling diminish gradually in size, amount, or strength. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #7
Create a horizontal timeline of DeSmets adventures in this chapter. Include at least five events on your timeline. Write each event using FULL SENTENCES! LIVER-EATING JOHNSTONS GRUESOME REVENGE - 1843
Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Intent intention or purpose. 2. Greenhorn a person who is new to or inexperienced at a particular activity. 3. Farewell used to express good wishes on parting. 4. Ransacked go hurriedly through a place, stealing things and causing damage. 5. Prowess skill or expertise in a particular activity or field. 6. Vendetta a blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer's family. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #8
Write a summary of the chapter. 2 paragraphs, 5-7 sentences CRAZY WOMAN MORGAN AND THE MASSACRE - 1846 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Domestic of or relating to the running of a home or to family relations.
2. Weary feeling or showing tiredness, especially as a result of excessive exertion or lack of sleep. 3. Haste to hurry through and action. 4. Consoled comfort someone at a time of grief or disappointment. 5. Vanquished defeat thoroughly. 6. Benevolence desire to do good to others. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #9
Answer each question using full sentences and repeat the question: 1. Describe John Morgans family (wife, age and number of children) 2. What did Mrs. Morgan first do when Mr. Morgan did not return to their lean-to?
3. What did Mrs. Morgan do instead of becoming the Indians next victim? 4. Who found Mrs. Morgan and consoled her after the massacre? 5. How did the Crow tribe feel about Mrs. Morgan many years later and what did they do for her when she
FORT BENTON: MECCA ON THE UPPER MISSOURI - 1860 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Restricted limited in extent, number, or action. 2. Prophecy a prediction. 3. Advocate a person who publicly supports or recommends a particular cause or policy. 4. Entrepreneur a person who organizes and operates a business, and takes on greater than normal financial risks. 5. Obsolete no longer produced or used.
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #10 Use each vocabulary word from today in a sentence (correctly!) Five sentences total, FULL SENTENCES! THE GOLDEN CORNERSTONE - 1862 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Flourish grow or develop in a healthy or vigorous way.
2. Profusion a large quantity of something. 3. Influx an arrival or entry of large numbers of people or things. 4. Propel drive, push, or cause to move in a particular direction. BANNACK, MONTANA THEN AND NOW PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #11
Answer each question using full sentences and repeat the question: 1. Who does the author think might have been the first person to discover gold? 2. Who made the first discovery of gold in Montana? When and where? 3. What is the name of Montanas first boomtown? 4. Which mining boomtown was originally Montanas largest city?
What was its population? 5. What did the gold rushes do for Montana? (Besides making a few people rich and a lot of people poor pg. 33) BLOOD ON THE BOZEMAN TRAIL - 1863 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Menacing threatening; presence of danger. 2. Clamoring shout loudly and insistently. 3. Belligerent hostile and aggressive. 4. Disregarded pay no attention to; ignore.
5. Renewed resume, re-establish. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #12 Answer each question using full sentences and repeat the question: 1. What state was John Bozeman originally from? 2. Describe the path of the Bozeman Trail (where it starts, what states it runs through, where it ends) 3. Describe the deadly conflict that signaled the beginning of the end
for the Bozeman Trail. (Be specific and detailed) 4. What was President Andrew Johnsons order on Marc 2nd, 1868? 5. Why did the President give this order? THE INNOCENTS AT THE END OF THEIR ROPE - 1864 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Scheme a systematic plan 2. Cohorts a group of people banded together 3. Rampant flourishing or spreading 4. Vigilantes a member of a self-appointed group of citizens
who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority 5. Captors a person that confines another PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #13 Answer each question using full sentences and repeat the
question: 1. What scheme did Henry Plummer come up with to get out of jail? 2. Henry was serving time for committing what crime? 3. Why were Plummer and his cohorts forced to move from Idaho to Montana? 4. What did the people of Bannack and Virginia City think of Henry Plummer? Show evidence!
5. How did the Vigilantes find out about who Henry really was? What was Henrys fate? JIM BECKWOURTH: ADOPTED SON OF THE CROWS - 1866 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Fascinated being irresistibly attentive to something or someone 2. Boasting talk with excessive pride 3. Fond having an affection or liking for 4. Atrocities an extremely wicked or cruel act 5. Revolting causing intense disgust
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #14 Write a summary of Beckwourths life. Detail specific events he described. 2 paragraphs, 5-7 FULL sentences
SHOOT OUT IN THE HAY FIELDS 1867 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Superior higher in rank, status, or quality 2. Luxurious extremely comfortable, elegant, or enjoyable 3. Marauding going about in search of things to steal or people to attack 4. Civilian - a person not in the military. 5. Prevailed to be victorious PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #15
Use each vocabulary word correctly in two full sentences. There should be 10 sentences total! POINTING THEM NORTH ON THE TEXAS TRAIL 1870 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Anticipation to expect or predict something. 2. Trekking going on a long, difficult journey.
3. Fate the development of events beyond a person's control. 4. Empire a group of states or countries under a single supreme authority. 5. Rigorous extremely thorough or exhaustive. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #16 Answer each question using full sentences and repeat the question: 1. What does it mean to throw the cattle into a mill?
2. Why were farms and ranches ruined during the Civil War? 3. Describe the small town of Abilene. 4. Describe the path of the Texas Trail (Where it began, where it travelled through and where it ended) 5. What did Teddy Blue do to stay awake during cattle drives? KING COPPER 1876 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Supervise observe and direct the execution of a task 2. Ambitious having a strong desire to succeed
3. Shrewd showing sharp powers of judgment 4. Consolidated make something physically stronger or more solid 5. Industries processing raw materials and making goods in factories PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #17 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. How old was Marcus Daly when he came to America? What did he do before he
came to Montana? 2. Daly couldnt convince the Walker brothers to exploit their copper, so what did he do instead? 3. What event drastically changed Dalys life and the economic life of Montana? 4. Why was Mr. Heinze the most controversial man in Montana mining? 5. What three positive things was the copper era responsible for? A SIOUX CHIEFS ACCOUNT OF CUSTER'S LAST STAND 1876 Vocabulary words you need to know
1.Circumstantial pointing indirectly toward someone's guilt 2.Obscure unknown or uncertain 3.Frequent when something is done on many occasions 4.Impeded delayed or prevented someone or something by
obstructing them PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #18 Write out a timeline of Flying Hawks recollection of the battle. You need to include at least 8 events (big or small). Use FULL SENTENCES!
I WILL FIGHT NO MORE FOREVER 1877 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Infantry soldiers marching or fighting on foot 2. Vacate leave a place that one once occupied 3. Artillery large-caliber guns used in warfare on land 4. Proclaimed announce officially or publicly. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #19 Answer each question using FULL
SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Why was Chief Joseph and his small band escaping to Canada? 2. What did the Nez Perce tribe do that provoked the army to attack? 3. The Nez Perce were hoping to get
help from which famous Sioux Chief in Canada? 4. What was the outcome of the battle? Who won? 5. Describe (in detail) how Chief Joseph felt about war after the battle. What THE SLAUGHTER OF THE BUFFALO -1883
Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Utensils an instrument used for household use 2. Dwindled diminish gradually in size, amount, or strength 3. Obliteration total destruction 4. Extinct having no living members PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #20 1. Use each vocabulary word correctly in a full sentence. 2. Write a two-paragraph
summary of this chapter. 3. How would the world be different if buffalo became extinct? THE HARD WINTER 1886/1887 Vocabulary words you need to know 1.Cruel willfully causing pain or suffering to others
2.Parched dried out with heat 3.Continuous without interruption 4.Chinook a warm dry wind that blows down the east side of the Rocky Mountains at the end of winter. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #21 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. After learning that they cant depend on the open-range to support their livestock, what did ranchers do?
2. How many inches of rainfall did some sections of land receive during the drought of 1886? 3. Many ranchers predicted a severe winter ahead. Name two signs that they witnessed that led them to believe this. 4. How many days did the Christmas Eve storm last? 5. Why do you think the prices of rare supplies went up during the cold winter? LADY CAMERON: MONTANA PHOTOGRAPHER 1889 Vocabulary words you need to know
1. Pondered think about something carefully 2. Prominent important or famous 3. Debacle a sudden and awful failure 4. Zest great enthusiasm and energy 5. Transcended surpassing the ordinary or exceptional PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #22 Put each vocabulary word correctly into two full sentences.
THE BIRTH OF GLACIER NATIONAL PARK - 1910 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Naturalist an expert in natural history 2. Promote support or actively encourage a cause 3. Conservation preservation, protection, or restoration of the natural environment 4. Precedent an earlier event that is an example or guide for future events. 5. Grandeur splendor and impressiveness in appearance or style
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #23 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Why was George Bird Grinnell sorely disappointed in the beginning of this chapter? 2. How did Grinnell know Lieutenant Colonel Custer? 3. What society did Grinnell create in 1886? 4. For what important reason did the Glacier area need to become a National Park? (According to John Van Orsdale) 5. Explain how the United States would be different if the Glacier and Yellowstone areas were
never turned into National Parks. SHELBYS DAY OF GLORY - 1923 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Undaunted not intimidated by difficulty or danger 2. Shirker one who avoids a duty or responsibility 3. Bout a short period of intense activity 4. Burden a heavy weight or load TOMMY GIBBONS VS JACK DEMPSEY
PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #24 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. What are the three reasons behind the mayor of Shelby creating the boxing match?
2. Was Tommy Gibbons a skilled fighter? What evidence from the book proves this? 3. Why did the American Legion think Dempsey was a shirker? 4. What problem surfaced before the match began? 5. What were the consequences of this problem? (What were the financial and entertainment outcomes? 6. Who won the boxing match? CHARLIE RUSSELL 1926
Choose 5 vocabulary words that are unfamiliar, or you dont see often. Write down the words and definitions in your journals. Be ready to share them with the class. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #25 Write a 2-paragraph summary of this chapter (5-7 sentences, full sentences)
PLENTY COUPS: CHIEF OF THE CROWS 1932 Choose 5 vocabulary words that are unfamiliar, or you dont see often. Write down the words and definitions in your journals. Be ready to share them with the class. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #26 Write a 2-paragraph summary of this chapter (5-7 sentences, full
sentences) SMOKEJUMPERS TO THE RESCUE 1939 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Devoured eat food hungrily or quickly. 2. Combat take action to reduce, destroy, or prevent something undesirable 3. Sophisticated developed to a high degree of complexity 4. Descent an action of moving downward, dropping, or falling
WHAT IS A SMOKEJUMPER? A smokejumper is a wildland firefighter who parachutes into a remote area to combat wildfires. Smokejumpers are most often deployed to fires that are extremely remote. The risks associated with this method of personnel deployment are mitigated by a
training program that has developed over more than 70 years. SMOKEJUMPERS PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #27 1. Put each vocabulary word into two full sentences correctly (10 sentences total, # them!) 2. Write a two-paragraph summary of this chapter.
FROM MONTANA TO HOLLYWOOD 1941 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Laconic using very few words when speaking or writing 2. Galvanized shock or excite someone or something 3. Diverse showing a great deal of variety; very different. 4. Hailed where you come from, where your home is or was GARY COOPER AND MYRNA LOY PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #28
Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. How did the author describe Frank James Cooper? 2. What three actors were given as examples of gabby, big-city wise guys? 3. Describe the plot in the 1952 western High Noon. 4. What was Myrna Williams first theater show? What year was it performed in? 5. Put each vocabulary word into two correct sentences (8 total) Extra Credit: Pick one movie listed in this chapter, research the plot and main characters. Write one paragraph describing your findings (3 Points)
JEANETTE RANKIN: A DOVE IN CONGRESS Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Clad clothed 2. Pacifist a person who believes that war and violence are wrong 3. Slogan a short and striking or memorable phrase used in advertising. 4. Treason the crime of betraying one's country PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #29
Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Rankin was the first woman to do what? 2. Jeanette Rankin was a pacifist, what does this tell us about her views on war? 3. Why was Rankin having so much trouble figuring out whether or not to vote for the resolution? (Give evidence from the book) 4. What was the slogan that Rankin used while campaigning in her second race? 5. Why was everyone so upset with Rankin after casting her vote against the war? 6. Describe Rankins life after she moved back to Georgia in 1942. WILL JAMES: MONTANAS MYSTERY MAN 1942
Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Prolific present in large numbers or quantities 2. Comical amusing or entertaining 3. Strutting to walk stiffly and arrogantly 4. Conquest taking control through the use of force 5. Profession a paid occupation or job PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #30 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION
1. What story, written by Will James, was published in 1930? 2. Describe the plot of this book. 3. What happened to James in 1914? 4. How did James describe his feelings about painter Charlie Russell? 5. Who suggested that James quit his formal schooling and become a full-time artist? THE KILLER QUAKE - 1959 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Retired (someone or something) went to a quiet and secluded
place 2. Temblor another name for an earthquake 3. Stabilized make something unlikely to give way or fall 4. Disastrous causing great damage PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #31 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Describe the setting at Hebgen Lake on the night of August 17 th, 1959. 2. What effects from the earthquake were felt in Hawaii? 3. Is the bronze plaque at the Madison river a landmark or a monument? Explain
your answer. 4. Describe two negative effects of the earthquake. 5. Put each vocabulary word correctly into two full sentences (8 sentences total) THE WILD HORSES OF THE PRYOR MOUNTAINS 1969 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Sparse thinly dispersed or scattered 2. Propagate breed specimens of a plant or animal by natural
processes from the parent stock 3. Proponent a person who advocates a theory, proposal, or project 4. Feverishly excited, restless or uncontrolled PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #32 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Who are the horses direct descendants of? 2. What did the Bureau of Land Management announce in 1964? 3. Why were nearby residents upset with their proposal?
4. Describe the proponents argument. Describe the opponents argument. 5. What was the outcome of the arguments? THE CENTENNIAL CATTLE DRIVE - 1989 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Obstacle a thing that blocks one's way 2. Impact the action of one object coming forcibly into
contact with another 3. Delicate easily broken or damaged; fragile 4. Territory - an area of land under the jurisdiction of a ruler or state PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #33 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION
1. What did the cattle drive celebrate and reflect? (TWO separate answers!) 2. What was the cattle drives route and how long was it supposed to take? 3. Why did Montana fail to gain statehood in both 1866 and 1884? 4. What 6 new states were admitted to the United States within 9 months? 5. Put each vocabulary word correctly into two full sentences. (8 total) A.B. GUTHRIE: LITERARY GIANT - 1991 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Colleague a person with whom one works 2. Renewed resume an activity after an interruption 3. Nurturing caring for and encouraging the growth or
development of something or someone 4. Recognition identification of a thing or person from previous encounters or knowledge PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #34 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION
1. What award did Guthrie win and for what book? 2. Describe the plot of the book The Big Sky, written by Guthrie. 3. What job did Guthrie have in Hollywood? 4. Put each vocabulary word correctly into two full sentences (8 sentences total) THE CAPTURE OF THE UNABOMBER 1996 Vocabulary words you need to know 1. Immigrant a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country
or place 2. Solitude being completely alone 3. Bizarre very strange or unusual 4. Plethora a large or excessive amount of something 5. Eluded to escape from a danger or enemy PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENT #35 Answer each question using FULL SENTENCES and REPEAT THE QUESTION 1. Describe the specific location of Lincoln, Montana.
2. What three (large) Montana towns surrounded the Lincoln area? 3. What two colleges did Kaczynski attend? 4. Describe (in detail) the small cabin that Ted lived in. 5. What are the (four) odd events that happened around the area that made people suspicious of Ted? 6. What specific areas did the Unabomber seem to be targeting? 7. For what crimes was Ted charged?
Program passes SPARK proof without violations. Detects programming errors: Divide by zero. Array index out of bounds. Integer, fixed-point and floating-point overflow. Integer, fixed-point and floating-point range violation. Explicit exception raised. Violation of Ceiling Priority Protocol
Draw a schematic representation. blind area. binocular area (food handling) Lateral areas (detection of . predators, conspecifics, etc.) ... Mostly through eye movements. Why do we need to move our eyes? Human retina. Birds have limited eye movements!
enthymeme - logical reasoning with one premise left unstated; instead of having an irrefutable general truth for major premise, it is an assumption, statement, or proposition that the writer presumes and the audience accepts.. Example: [Because gravity exists,] my pencil...
Chapter 6 Loops and Files Knowledge Goals Understand the semantics of while loop Understand when a count-controlled loop is appropriate Understand when an event-controlled loop is appropriate Know the difference between an iteration counter and an event counter Know where...
What Is the Fully Developed Claim Program? The Fully Developed Claim (FDC) program is an optional, expedited claims processing and adjudication system that offers Veterans and survivors faster decisions on VA disability compensation, pension, and survivor benefit claims.
Example: NH. 3 This Lewis structure does NOT show the molecular shape. It DOES show the four electron groups. Lone pair is one of the four electron groups around the central atom. 4 Electron Groups. Electron pair geometry: Tetrahedral ....
CP Friendly Letter Instructions Write a friendly introduction letter back to me. Your letter should contain 5 paragraphs and be similar in format to my letter. CP Friendly Letter Instructions Use the following outline to help guide your writing, and...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!